This past week I attended The Charles Poliquin Biosignature Modulation Seminar. I could not believe how much relevant, practical, and ahead of its time knowledge I gained. Not only did I gain knowledge, but as soon as I had “how to” questions from clients and friends, I was able to give them a solid answer and practical solutions.
Background of Biosignature
The Biosignature Modulation Method is a unique way of measuring body fat and thus hormonal imbalances within each individual person. How does this work? We store body fat in certain areas based on our own unique hormonal profile. This can be due to both lifestyle and genetics. For example, someone can have excess umbilical fat storage (centered around the belly button) due to over exposure of cortisol. This can be a result of a high stress lifestyle, or how the person genetically responds to stress, or a combination of both. By measuring your body fat with the Biosignature Method, we can then find out where your problem areas are because of imbalanced hormones.
So how do you balance out your hormones? Through specific improvements on your nutrition, supplementation program, lifestyle, and training. Depending on your unique Biosignature, you may have to do things like alter your carbohydrate intake, start dosing up on fish oils, improve sleep quality, and spend more time in the hypertrophy training phase.
A few big things I learned:
· Insulin is the only hormone you can 100% control
· Almost everyone has less than optimal vitamin D
· Bread messes up your blood sugar for 2-3 hours after eating, pasta does for 6 hours
· Omega-3s are good for just about everything
· If you control your insulin you will control your estrogen
· 72.6% of the U.S. Population is now overweight
· 72.6% of the U.S. population does not get enough sleep
· If you do a high protein, higher fat, low carb diet, you need additional sodium
· 62% of our immune system is in our gut
· Your hormones and body can be rebalanced quickly by 1-2 changes a week
A deeper individualized program based on my clients’ hormones addresses a major component for results. When it comes to body fat loss and muscle gain, hormones play a major role. If you have a large enough hormonal imbalance, you will always be fighting an uphill battle in fat loss or muscle gain. Control your hormones and you will attain better and faster results from your fitness program.